Welcome to Q&A for Home Maintenance Q&A section, where you can ask questions and get answers from me and other members of the community.

Spam, self-promotion, questions with abusive, inappropriate language, and irrelevant questions will be deleted.
All of the questions are moderated!

You'll be notified when your question is answered. Please reply with Feedback to share whether a solution worked or didn't work. Thank you!

Connect on Google+
Find on Google+ Local

Replace saddle valve for water supply to furnace Humidifier?

0 votes
Humidifier is not getting any water.  Saddle valve for 1/4 inch copper water line to humidifier is open and copper pipe is not kinked, bent, twisted or otherwise distubed.  HVAC guy thinks that saddle valve has shifted and that I should remove old saddle valve, plug existing hole. and install new saddle valve.  He didn't fix it since it was a maintenence visit and he didn't have a saddle valve.      Should I install a new saddle valve to fix the problem?

How does one plug the existing hole?
asked in Plumbing by mikearosenbaum (120 points)
Share this question on your favorite network.

1 Answer

0 votes


Hi Mike,
For the repair you can use a clamp with rubber padding which will seal the hole (something like this one - http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pipe-repair.html).
However, I would suggest to install a regular ¼ turn valve on that pipe. This would require cutting the pipe (wherever the existing hole is if possible), installing a “T” with a valve, something like on this picture - http://images.meredith.com/diy/images/2009/02/p_SCP_110_02.jpg (details are here - http://www.diyadvice.com/diy/plumbing/pipe/repair-copper/ ) Sorry, I have to run, a funeral to attend sad
answered by darekrudy (21,730 points)