Welcome to Q&A for Home Maintenance Q&A section, where you can ask questions and get answers from me and other members of the community.

Spam, self-promotion, questions with abusive, inappropriate language, and irrelevant questions will be deleted.
All of the questions are moderated!

You'll be notified when your question is answered. Please reply with Feedback to share whether a solution worked or didn't work. Thank you!

Connect on Google+
Find on Google+ Local

What does this mean -HUD requirement square intake vent at the base,

0 votes
HUD describes requirements for Gas and Electric water heaters .

The electric requirement sates the square intake vent at the base must be sealed .

I cannot locate the square intake vent on most residential heaters at Lowes or Home Depot.

What does this requirement mean ?
asked in Heating System by mhoai (120 points)
Share this question on your favorite network.

1 Answer

0 votes

Hi Mhoai,


I apologize for a delay but I had no computer access for a while… I’m not sure what does it mean, it could apply to older or still manufactured by some companies electric water heaters that have an opening (apparently they did). Maybe they were using the same bottom plates as the gas water heater has for electric water heater assemblies.
One possible reason is that they try to prevent a possibility of combustible vapor (e.g. from gasoline) from penetrating enclosure and igniting when the heating element’s relay turns ON or / and OFF. 
Is that requirement published on the Internet? Do you have a link to it?
answered by darekrudy (21,730 points)