Welcome to Q&A for Home Maintenance Q&A section, where you can ask questions and get answers from me and other members of the community.

Spam, self-promotion, questions with abusive, inappropriate language, and irrelevant questions will be deleted.
All of the questions are moderated!

You'll be notified when your question is answered. Please reply with Feedback to share whether a solution worked or didn't work. Thank you!

Connect on Google+
Find on Google+ Local

Using Galvanized Pipe for both water & gas and Black pipe for gas

0 votes
Is it true that you can use Galvanized Pipe for both water & gas but only Black pipe for gas ?
asked in Plumbing by mark-c (220 points)
edited by darekrudy
Share this question on your favorite network.

1 Answer

0 votes

Hi Mark,

That would depend on your jurisdiction and the plumbing code adopted by the local authorities. Both IRC (International Residential Code) and UPC (Uniform Plumbing Code) allow using galvanized or black steel pipes for gas, however, this can be further regulated on a local level. 
IRC paragraph regulating gas pipe material types is here - http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/irc/2009/icod_irc_2009_24_par252.htm
You’ll just have to search Google for the following standards mentioned in that paragraph above:
  • ASME B 36.10, 10M; 
  • ASTM A 53/A 53M; or 
  • ASTM A 106 

Black pipe should not be used for water distribution. You can find details about the permitter water pipes at this link:


P2905.5 Water-distribution pipe. Water-distribution piping within dwelling units shall conform to NSF 61 and shall conform to one of the standards listed in Table P2905.5. All hot-water-distribution pipe and tubing shall have a minimum pressure rating of 100 psi at 180°F (689 kPa at 82°C).





Brass pipe


Chlorinated polyvinyl chloride (CPVC) plastic pipe and tubing

ASTM D 2846; ASTM F 441; ASTM F 442; CSA B137.6

Copper or copper-alloy pipe

ASTM B 42; ASTM B 302

Copper or copper-alloy tubing (Type K, WK, L, WL, M or WM)

ASTM B 75; ASTM B 88; ASTM B 251; ASTM B 447

Cross-linked polyethylene (PEX) plastic tubing

ASTM F 876; ASTM F 877; CSA B137.5

Cross-linked polyethylene/aluminum/cross-linked polyethylene (PEX-AL-PEX) pipe

ASTM F 1281; ASTM F 2262; CSA B137.10M

Cross-linked polyethylene/aluminum/high-density polyethylene (PEX-AL-HDPE)

ASTM F 1986

Galvanized steel pipe


Polyethylene/aluminum/polyethylene (PE-AL-PE) composite pipe

ASTM F 1282

Polypropylene (PP) plastic pipe or tubing

ASTM F 2389; CSA B137.11

Stainless steel (Type 304/304L) pipe

ASTM A 312; ASTM A 778


answered by darekrudy (21,730 points)
edited by darekrudy