Welcome to Q&A for Home Maintenance Q&A section, where you can ask questions and get answers from me and other members of the community.

Spam, self-promotion, questions with abusive, inappropriate language, and irrelevant questions will be deleted.
All of the questions are moderated!

You'll be notified when your question is answered. Please reply with Feedback to share whether a solution worked or didn't work. Thank you!

Connect on Google+
Find on Google+ Local

What material should be used on the combustion air inlet to the gas HWH area?

0 votes
Gas venting implies exhaust gases going out of the house.  Why is the combustion air not included in the explanation?  For gases to exit, combustion air must come in also.
asked in Gas Water Heater by ron (120 points)
Share this question on your favorite network.

1 Answer

0 votes


Hi Ron,
Combustion process exhaust gasses, depending on the design of a particular system, have various temperatures that range from low that can be discharged using just a regular PVC pipe to sometimes very high which require galvanized or stainless steel vent pipe system.
Combustion air delivered to the appliance location through the windows, wall vent ports, doors, etc. has a room temperature; therefore, it does not require any special material. Any type of an opening (or openings in most cases) properly installed / located, and delivering required amount of combustion air to the appliance containing room will meet the requirements (residential applications only). 
answered by darekrudy (21,730 points)