Welcome to Q&A for Home Maintenance Q&A section, where you can ask questions and get answers from me and other members of the community.

Spam, self-promotion, questions with abusive, inappropriate language, and irrelevant questions will be deleted.
All of the questions are moderated!

You'll be notified when your question is answered. Please reply with Feedback to share whether a solution worked or didn't work. Thank you!

Connect on Google+
Find on Google+ Local

Which trade is bes suited to check/replace exhaust cap from a gas hot water tank exhaust?

0 votes
Only with major storms with high winds, we keep getting water running down the gas hot water tank exhaust pipe that runs directly up the chimney.  Luckly the water ends of dripping only in the basement floor by the hot water tank.  Other tan the chimney cap.....could there be an other source for the water penetration?  Thank you!
asked in House Chimney by gbisson51 (120 points)
Share this question on your favorite network.

1 Answer

0 votes


Hi Gbisson51,
For me to answer your question I’d have to know several conditions related to your water heater and chimney installation which you didn’t describe. Therefore I can only give a general list of things that might cause water seepage… they may not apply to your situation at all. 
  • deteriorated walls of a brick / stone / cinder block chimney, missing mortar
  • corroded walls (with holes) of a metal chimney
  • damaged / deteriorating / missing chimney cap
  • high water table (assuming that your masonry chimney sits on the basement’s floor) that causes seepage from under the chimney 
  • deteriorated moisture membrane on a chimney section beneath the ground level (common issue on chimneys located on a side wall of the house / extending into the basement)
  • leaking chimney flashing at roof penetration
You can call your local chimney sweep, a plumber, or an HVAC contractor to trace this problem, however, if it is related to your drainage system (water penetrating from under the basement’s floor or chimney’s underground section, drainage / waterproofing company might be required.
Just click “comment” below if you have more question, try to explain your installation (chimney type, location / positioning inside the house, cap, etc.) and describe where is the water coming from in as much detail as possible.
answered by darekrudy (21,730 points)