Welcome to Q&A for Home Maintenance Q&A section, where you can ask questions and get answers from me and other members of the community.

Spam, self-promotion, questions with abusive, inappropriate language, and irrelevant questions will be deleted.
All of the questions are moderated!

You'll be notified when your question is answered. Please reply with Feedback to share whether a solution worked or didn't work. Thank you!

Connect on Google+
Find on Google+ Local

Sump pump discharge line relief valve

0 votes
From Chris:

Is it possible to put something like a popup relief valve on the sump pump discharge pipe? I have an occasional problem with the storm sewers backing up in my street in front of the house and the sump output having nowhere to go. The pump runs almost continuously fighting against the full sewer.

The sewer drains into a creek behind my house which is also flooded at these times, so I don’t have a good option for running a new discharge pipe anywhere. I figure having the water spray out into the yard is better than having it overflow the sump!
asked in Sump Pump by darekrudy (21,730 points)
Share this question on your favorite network.

1 Answer

0 votes
Hi Chris,

I’ve never seen such valve installed on a sump pump discharge line and I can’t find anything that could be used in this application. There are adjustable pressure relief valves but have different purposes and it doesn’t appear that they can be adopted for the sump pump.

You could install “Y” connector with a manual valve right above your sump pump and run a second pipe to exterior – bottom leg of the “Y” to sump pump, one top leg of the “Y” to the existing line and the second one to the exterior. You could also put two valves so you can close the existing line and open the one that would discharge to exterior, whenever the storm sewers are overflowing.

This “Y” connector and manual valves can be also installed on the exterior but you’d have to go outside to control it.

You could also put a second sump pump in the pit, with a switch (pressure / floating) positioned above the main pump and a discharge pipe extended to the house exterior. This would activate the second pump whenever the first one has a problem with keeping up with pumping water. It’s good to have a back-up…
answered by darekrudy (21,730 points)
From Paul:

You can also install the “Y” or “T” connector outside the house rather than near the pump inside the house. Install on the vertical portion outside. Fit is with a loose/not glued cap and when there is a backup it will blow the cap off and dump onto your lawn. Or purchase IceGuard from a dealer … same principal. Also, don't forget to have a backflow valve installed on your sewer or septic line.
J says:
Permaseal has a pvc piece that allows water to flow out if the outside line is frozen or storm sewers are full. Their website should have a picture of it. http://www.permaseal.net/yard-and-drainage-solutions/ice-guard.html
They use it on their installations but I was lucky enough to walk into the storefront and buy one for myself. About $20 if I remember. They are in the Chicago area but do business under other names in other states. Look for basement waterproofing systems to find the one in your area.
Let me know how it goes.